The following suggestions are for new faculty who are expected to arrive on campus soon. Some preparation could be done ahead of time to facilitate a smooth transition to your new role as faculty, researcher and advisor.
Lafayette and Acadiana
- Familiarize yourself with the Acadiana region.
- Lafayette Economic Development Authority
- Lafayette Consolidated Government
- Lafayette Chamber of Commerce
- Lafayette Travel
- Lafayette Parish School System
- Once you know your arrival date, email your department head.
- Set up an appointment to meet them. See list of talking points/items to take care of in the Upon Arrival Checklist section.
- Have a campus map. Check the Parking and Transportation website for information on how to purchase any required parking permits.
- Familiarize yourself with the HelpDesk for Computing Support Services. Get Help for Faculty and Staff is a great place to start locating the University's computing and communication resources.
- If you have pre-school-age children, familiarize yourself with the services and programs available to faculty through the Child Development Center.
- Plan to attend New Faculty Orientation and review the orientation website.
- Review your Faculty Benefits (sign-up for benefits Beginning August 3, 2015 and within 30 days of your official start date).
- Get started with online seminars for effective teaching and research.