Due to the impact of instructional transition related to the COVID19 pandemic, the University of Louisiana at Lafaye
UL Lafayette COVID-19 grading policy modifications for Spring 2020Tue, 03/31/2020 - 3:13pm
Due to the impact of instructional transition related to the COVID19 pandemic, the University of Louisiana at Lafayette has adopted the following grading policy modifications for students and courses in the Spring 2020 semester.
UPDATE: Emergency grades will not be in effect for Spring 2021.
Last Day to Drop with a W
The last day to drop an undergraduate or graduate course with a grade of W during the Spring 2020 semester is the last day of classes, May 1.
Grade Options for Undergraduates
Grade options of Pass (P), Emergency D (ED), and Emergency F (EF) can be requested by undergraduate students enrolled in courses that were intended to be in-person throughout Spring 2020, but were changed to remote instruction as a result of COVID-19.
The grading process is as follows:
- Faculty will grade students as usual during the semester, and submit the final letter grade (A, B, C, D, F) earned by the student to the Registrar's Office using the standard grade submission process.
The option to convert a grade can be requested by the student after final grades are posted. It allows students to request to replace a letter grade of:
- C or better with a grade of P (Pass);
- D with a letter grade of ED (Emergency D); or
- F with a letter grade of EF (Emergency F).
- Grades of P, ED, and EF will not be factored into the student's grade point average.
- A grade of P will provide academic credit and will count toward curricular, major, minor, academic progress, and graduation requirements. A grade of ED will also count toward such requirements provided a grade of C is not required in the student’s curriculum.
Students must submit a request to convert to P/ED/EF to their college dean’s office. The request must be approved by:
- Department head over the course;
- Dean over the course; and
- Dean over the student’s major.
- The request must be initiated after grades are posted and by 12 a.m. on May 20, 2020.
- Individual colleges may determine that their students, and/or some of their courses, are not eligible for this option, and will publish this information.
Incomplete Grades for Undergraduate and Graduate
In an effort to provide students with sufficient time to resolve incomplete grades, the University will extend the deadline to complete courses assigned the grade of “I” as follows:
- Last day to change an Incomplete grade earned in Fall 2019 or Winter Intersession 2019: Nov. 5, 2020
- Last day to change an Incomplete grade earned in Spring 2020: Dec. 14, 2020
In exceptional cases, a dean may request an extension of this deadline for a student or group of students when other modifications to grading policy do not sufficiently accommodate the students’ situation.